Hereford will see major investment in new infrastructure
to support growth. The Hereford Bypass will facilitate new
homes and new jobs.
The Hereford bypass, as part of the Hereford Transport Package, is a key infrastructure project that is necessary to drive the economic growth of Hereford and the region. It is identified as a priority within the council’s Economic Vision, Local Plan Core Strategy (LPCS) and Local Transport Plan (LTP) and also within the Marches Strategic Economic Plan and Midlands Connect regional transport strategy.
The Hereford Transport Package will:
- Enable the delivery of future housing, employment and educational development by maintaining acceptable peak hour journey times across the city
- Enable the delivery of future housing, employment and educational development by providing attractive alternatives to the private car for journeys within the city
- Enable the improvement of regional connectivity by achieving acceptable peak hour journey times on the A49 through the city
- Ensure the transport network within Hereford is resilient enough to provide consistent journey times throughout the day
- Encourage healthy lifestyles by encouraging more people to walk and cycle
- Reduce the impacts of transport on air quality and noise within the city
- Protect the quality of the urban realm to enhance pedestrian connectivity in the city
- Improve road safety within the city.